I brought up a thorny subject Sunday in Sunday school at Crossroads Missionary church, where I am a member. Jordan H., our teacher was out of town, so Matt said, in his stead, let's look at Christmas, do you have any scriptures you would like to look at?
Sure, I said, what about the "slaughter of the innocents" in Matthew chapter 2 and verses 6-on. About the soldiers killing all the male children under age 2, and Christ going free as Joseph was warned in a dream and got up while it was night and took the babe and Mary his mother to Egypt. 2 prophecies were fulfilled in this: "Rachel weeping for her children" and "Out of Egypt I have called my son".
so I asked, what about all the other babies, were they all chopped liver or what? Jesus got out, but the rest were slaughtered. I made me feel a bit sad, to say the least.
Various opinions were sounded. Some to imply I was blasphemous and accusing God. Well, I said, he knew it was going to happen.
so, today, Tues., I looked up all the paintings on the "slaughter of the innocents" done mostly in the 1500's and before, some later, not many... a couple of dozen paintings were on Google. Bruegel, Reubens, many explored the subject enough to paint it.
sad. Not where my mind wants to go this Christmas, but it is a tho't to ponder. Where IS GOD when a mad-man (speaking of Herod) rages?
I'm at Nottawa Library right now on the computer. Got my brakes fixed yesterday at Penny's Auto.
No comments:
Post a Comment